The “Packard Model 244 Single Eight Touring (1924)” came with an in-line 8-cylinder engine and a displacement of 5864 cc | 357.8 cu in. | 5.9 L… which transmitted a force of 85 HP (62.56 KW) @ 3000 RPM.
With a capacity for 5 passengers, its wheelbase was 136 in | 3454 mm.
Packard introduced their magnificent straight-eight engine in their beautifully restyled 1924 top-line models. In doing so, they effectively set the standard for American prestige automobiles for the rest of the 1920s. The new car was called the “Single Eight”—the designation alluding to the fact the new line replaced Packard’s great, but outmoded, original twelve-cylinder Twin Six, produced from 1915 to 1923.
The Packard inline eight was developed under the aegis of Packard’s engineering chief, Col. Jesse G. Vincent. The crankshaft ran in nine main bearings, contributing greatly to the engine’s smooth, almost vibration free operation. This massive eight was set into a long, low-slung chassis that was equipped with Packard’s first four-wheel brake system.
Packard offered the “Single Eight” in two series, their respective numerical designations reflecting the wheelbase lengths. Most styles were Series 136 models, while the longer Series 143 consisted of three seven-passenger models. The only Series 143 open style was the 7-Passenger “Touring Car” (or “Phaeton”).
The Packard is richly equipped with period motoring accessories. These include a Packard Goddess of Speed radiator ornament, a radiator stone guard, dual sidemounted spare tires, secondary windshield for rear seat passengers, and a trunk at the rear. The car is also equipped with dual driving lights, cowl lamps and spotlights. The solid disc wheels were standard on the 1924 Single Eight.
POWER - CONTROL - PERFOMANCE
|- $3,650 (1924)||- 8L - 5864 cc | 357.8 cu in. | 5.9 L.|
|- Normal||- 85 HP (62.56 KW) @ 3000 RPM|
|- 4000 lbs | 1814.369 kg||- 3 Selective Sliding|
|- 1924||- Wheelbase : 136.0 in | 3454 mm.|
|- 35 x 5||- +6|